The high-society restaurant next to the La Fenice opera house,
this was once the café for the theatres, of which there were another
four nearby. The Risorgimento swept through in 1848, when
Niccolò Tommaseo and Daniele Manin were carried here on the
shoulders of patriots who had freed them from Austrian prison.
Named the “Martini” in 1863, it was the haunt of the playwrights
Gallina, Praga, and Giacosa, as well as of journalists and all the
beau monde. A piano bar in 1927, it was requisitioned by the
Americans during the war. Since 1952, it has been one of the most
elegant restaurants in Venice, much loved by Rubinstein, Laurence
Olivier, Stravinsky, Cocteau and Chaplin.











